15 June 2013: The High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres strongly condemns today’s rocket attack on Camp Liberty in Iraq that reportedly killed two people and wounded dozens.
This is the second deadly attack on Camp Liberty this year. The first, on 9 February, claimed the lives of eight people and left scores injured.
“This is another unacceptable and horrific act of violence,” Mr. Guterres said. He also expresses his deep condolences to the families of the victims and his sympathy and concern for the injured.
“I call on the Iraqi Government to take immediate measures to ensure the safety and security of the residents and to prevent any further such attacks,” he said.
The High Commissioner also calls on all countries to help find urgent solutions for the Camp Liberty residents.Read More Download
Opinions adopted by the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention at its sixty-fourth session, 27–31 August 2012
The United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention in its second opinion adopted at its sixty-fourth session, 27–31 August 2012 evaluates that the conditions in Camp Ashraf and Camp Liberty are synonymous with that of a detention center and is in violation of Universal Declaration of Human Rights and International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.Read More Download
Mr. Ban also thanked the Government of Iraq for its cooperation with the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), and on the peaceful relocation of former residents of Camp Ashraf, reiterating the urgent need for UN Member States to offer resettlement opportunities to recognized refugees.Read More Download
Martin Kobler, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Iraq, has welcomed the arrival of the last major relocation convoy of residents from Camp Ashraf at Camp Hurriya, which took place this weekend.
Mr. Kobler called the move an important step as we near the end of the relocation process. He thanked the residents for their cooperation and also thanked the Government of Iraq for paving the way for the peaceful closure of Camp Ashraf.Read More Download
The United Nations envoy in Iraq on Sunday welcomed the last major relocation of Iranian exiles from a camp outside of the capital, Baghdad, and called for a renewed focus on resettling the residents in third countries.
“This is an important step as we near the end of the relocation process. I would like to thank the residents for their cooperation,” said Martin Kobler, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI). “I would also like to thank the Government of Iraq for ensuring this last major relocation and paving the way for the peaceful closure of Camp Ashraf under the terms of the memorandum of understanding,” he added in a news release.Read More Download
In line with a memorandum of understanding signed in December by the UN and the Iraqi Government to resolve the situation, some two-thirds of the residents, or 2,000 people, were re-located to a temporary transit location near Baghdad known as Camp Hurriya – formerly known as Camp Liberty – where a process to determine refugee status is being carried out by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).Read More Download
In addition to Mr. Kobler, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has also previously urged all parties to avoid violence and work together to peacefully conclude the transfer of the remaining Iranian exiles. The UNAMI news release also noted that there has been continuous progress in efforts to improve the living conditions in Camp Hurriya.
“The United Nations continues to support a peaceful solution to the issue of Camp Ashraf, continues to monitor the relocation process, and provides 24/7 monitoring in Camp Hurriya,” the Mision stated, adding that it calls upon the remaining residents of Camp Ashraf to “also start preparations for additional convoys to Campy Hurriya, in order to peacefully complete the relocation process.”Read More Download
Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Camp New Iraq (formerly Camp Ashraf)
The Secretary-General urges the residents of Camp New Iraq to cooperate with the Government of Iraq and fully abide by the laws of the country. He also urges the residents to earnestly prepare for their next transfer to Camp Hurriya, without further delay. He calls on the Government of Iraq to continue to meet its international humanitarian obligations and to exercise restraint.
The Secretary-General reiterates that violence should, at all costs, be avoided.
The Secretary-General calls again on Member States to accept for resettlement those residents who qualify as refugees. The Secretary-General expresses his full support for the ongoing efforts by his Special Representative, Mr. Martin Kobler, to facilitate a peaceful and durable solution to the issue of Camp New Iraq, including for the purpose of safely resettling the refugees.Read More Download
The Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) for Iraq, Mr. Martin Kobler, today attended a meeting on the issue of Camp New Iraq (formerly Camp Ashraf). The meeting was called by the Government of Iraq for the diplomatic community in the country.
During this meeting, SRSG Kobler urged the Government of Iraq to refrain from violence under any circumstances and to be generous when it comes to the humanitarian needs of the residents. The United Nations supports only a peaceful, humanitarian solution to the issue of Camp New Iraq.
At the same time, he urged the residents of Camp New Iraq to begin preparations for the next move to Camp Hurriya without delay. Especially vulnerable persons and minors should be included in the next group.
Mr. Kobler appealed to the international supporters of the residents to live up to their responsibilities. He also appealed to Member States to accept the residents for resettlement in their countries.Read More Download